Maria V. Hanford
Over the course of more than 20 years, Hanford has developed her expertise in alternative dispute resolution. The last half of her career included counseling and protecting the rights of healthcare providers in just about every area of their practices. Hanford created an environment within the firm which served clients by advocating for out-of-court negotiations or the selection of an alternative dispute resolution forum such as arbitration. Hanford is especially known for her negotiation skills as well as her ability to identify the significant elements of a case, utilizing her extensive experience to synthesize the optimal strategy for her clients.
Hanford attained experience in several diverse areas of law. Her impressive résumé began right out of law school when Hanford was recruited by and worked for The Legal Aid Society of Nassau County. Shortly thereafter, she was appointed as an assistant prosecutor in Nassau County. Hanford’s ambition promoted her to a number of unique and high level legal positions.
Hanford was assistant to a senior associate in a prominent midtown law firm focusing on trademark and copyright infringement. She was also outside counsel to a multimillion-dollar international security firm and to a downtown Manhattan law firm, operating as special counsel at one of the world’s top financial conglomerates. Hanford now spends the majority of her time participating within the ADR community as an arbitrator. Hanford’s extensive and varied law experience is an indispensable asset, making her a unique blend of attorney, business woman, and ADR specialist.
Hanford received her Bachelor of Science from St. John’s University and her Juris Doctor from Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center.
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Commercial Disputes
- Harvard Law School Executive Education Program on Negotiation and Leadership
- Columbia Law School-Chartered Institute of Arbitrators: Course on International Commercial Arbitration
- American Arbitration Association (AAA): Mediator Essentials; Skills for Facilitating Negotiated Agreements
- American Arbitration Association (AAA): Advanced Mediator Training Course, The Extent or Limit of Mediator Influence to Effect Settlement
- New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section: Mediation and Arbitration Clinic
- New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section: Commercial Arbitration Training for Arbitrators and Counsel: Comprehensive Training for Conducting Commercial Arbitrations
- Civil Court of the City of New York Association of Small Claims Arbitrators: Arbitrator Training Course
- AAA Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New Arbitrators
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators North America Branch: Accelerated Route to Fellowship (International Arbitration)
- Active Panel Member, American Arbitration Association, 2019
- New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC), Member
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow
- Association of Small Claims Arbitrators Civil Court of the City of New York: Association Member
- New York State Bar Association: Dispute Resolution Section, Vice Chair Arbitration Committee, Vice Chair Mediation Committee, Member International Law Section, Member Health Law Section, Member Labor and Employment Law Section
- Eastern District Mediation Advocacy Program for Employment Discrimination, Participant
- New York City Bar Association: Arbitration Section, Affiliate Member
- The Dolores Foundation For Alzheimer’s Research, Inc., Chairperson, Board of Directors
- Arbitral Women, Member
- Attorney, New York State, Admitted 1997
- Admitted to Practice, United States District Court: Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- Licensed Real Estate Broker, New York State, Active